Symantec has announced the availability of Enterprise Vault 10, the new version of its email and content archiving software that now features Symantec's data loss prevention technology to analyze Microsoft Exchange email content and metadata to help determine the archiving and retention strategy for all messages. Email content and metadata are automatically classified and assigned the appropriate archiving and retention policy, and can even be flagged to be reviewed for compliance reasons. Another new feature of Enterprise Vault 10 is the ability to archive all social media interactions for compliance and eDiscovery purposes.
“Businesses have learned how important it is to protect and preserve email, IM, documents, spreadsheets and other unstructured information, and they're learning that the same is true for social media records,” said Brian Dye, vice president of product management, Symantec. “We’ve increased the scale and performance of Enterprise Vault so our customers can effectively archive and eDiscovery the millions of records employees are creating by email, social media, SharePoint and file systems. Enterprise Vault 10 can significantly reduce risks, especially for organizations in highly litigious or regulated industries, without inhibiting the business and productivity benefits of social media and collaboration tools.”
IT organizations worldwide are mandated by corporate governance, legal and compliance groups to implement organization-wide retention policies on their information assets. The Data Classification Service feature of Enterprise Vault 10 utilizes Symantec's data loss prevention technology to automatically classify the email and assign an appropriate archiving and retention policy. Classifications can also be used as filters to speed up the search and review process for eDiscovery. Additionally, customers who have implemented Symantec Data Loss Prevention can share classification policies to greatly simplify the automated classification of information.
Enterprise Vault also adds new integration with Symantec’s encryption technologies to allow organizations to effectively classify, store, and discover encrypted information.
Posts to an organization's publicly-facing social media outlets including blogs, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds are considered business communications that must be preserved to comply with open records requests, industry regulations such as the supervision requirements under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) 10-06 amendments, and the eventuality of an eDiscovery request. However, according to Symantec's 2011 Social Media Protection Flash Poll, while 82 percent of enterprises are discussing implementing archiving solutions to collect, preserve and discover sensitive business information transmitted through social media, less than one-fourth have actually done so.
Through Symantec's partnerships with Actiance, CommonDesk, Globanet, Hanzo and Socialware, Enterprise Vault 10 automatically archives social media interactions for compliance, eDiscovery and corporate governance purposes. Organizations can comply with requirements for social media communications without restricting or banning the use of those tools.
Enterprise Vault has long helped customers prepare for the eventuality of an eDiscovery request by capturing information, tagging specific records for future litigation, and enabling the fast and easy search for relevant records. The Clearwell eDiscovery Platform, now part of Symantec, enables customers to process, analyze, and review those records for internal audits, legal eDiscovery and corporate governance purposes. Symantec reduces the costs and risks by providing repeatable and defensible eDiscovery workflows across all legal, regulatory, and investigative matters. Organizations can demonstrate a chain of custody for each document across the entire process, from archiving and preservation through review and production.
Additional Enterprise Vault 10 Features:
* Enterprise information archive: moves less-frequently accessed information off of expensive primary storage and servers such as Microsoft Exchange and SharePoint, IBM Lotus Domino, file servers and more to lower-tiered storage, on-premise or in the cloud.
* Global deduplication: efficiently archive information by storing just one copy of a file or message, regardless of the number of times it occurs or where it is stored, significantly lowering the long term total cost of ownership by reducing the archive size.
* Flexible .PST and .NSF migration: automatically locate and migrate existing .PST and .NSF files into the archive, helping you regain control of the information contained within those files. Centralized control of .PST and .NSF files helps accelerate eDiscovery while reducing storage costs, backup windows and information risk.
* Seamless end-user experience: Enterprise Vault is designed to be a seamless extension to users’ existing tools (Outlook, Notes, SharePoint, etc.) giving transparent access to archived information anytime, anywhere, including on mobile devices.
* Intuitive electronic eDiscovery with guided review: provides advanced search, legal hold and analysis including guided review, conversation threading, bulk marking and tagging. Relevant items are easily preserved on legal hold and provided to the requesting party though a flexible and auditable export process to simplify production.