The Port Authority of Thailand has chosen 3COM and TippingPoint to provide wireless network infrastructure with intrusion prevention
3Com has announced that the Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) has chosen 3Com high-performance H3C enterprise networking and TippingPoint security solutions to securely and reliably improve its logistics management and operations, taking it a step closer to becoming a global maritime logistics player.
After a thorough evaluation of the features, functionality, service and support levels, as well as cost of comparable products from competitors, PAT decided that 3Com H3C enterprise core and edge network infrastructure solutions as well as TippingPoint intrusion prevention systems (IPS) were proven, secure and provided the best value for performance.
The adoption of 3Com sophisticated networking solutions has put us much closer to our goal of becoming the world e-port of call. These solutions have streamlined our operations and reduced costs but more importantly, they have given us the ability to compete with and beat the world's best shipping centres, said Charin In-Muang, IT Director of Port Authority of Thailand.
3Com solutions enabled PAT to improve its container terminal management, automatic identification, enterprise resource planning, office automation and e-document systems. The solutions also enabled PAT to connect to all sea transportation organizations around the world 24/7.
It was a combination of compelling solutions and outstanding service that let us seal the deal. More than any of our competitors, 3Com was able to help PAT get maximum business value from every technology dollar spent, said Sakchai Punyajaray, Country Manager of 3Com Thailand.
The 3Com networking products deployed by PAT include:
* H3C S7500E series High-end multi-service routing platform supplies the 10-Gigabit Ethernet backbone for PAT as well as Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON) ports for cost-effective high-speed MAN connectivity to support high-definition multimedia applications. It also supports Rapid Ring Protection Protocol (RRPP) for high-speed sub 50 ms fail-over to ensure service continuity;
* H3C S5500-EI series − Data centre switches for edge, distribution and core applications with Intelligent Resilient Framework (IRF) technology that virtualises multiple switches into one logical switch to improve resilience, flexibility and manageability;
* 3Com 802.11n wireless network access points High-performance access points support channel bonding and can potentially deliver up to 600 Mbps throughput.
* 3Com AirProtect Enterprise Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) − Protects enterprise networks and users from unauthorized wireless access;
* 3Com-TippingPoint IPS Industry-leading network security appliance sits inline and supports packet inspection at gigabit wire speeds;
* 3Com-TippingPoint Network Access Control (NAC) − Multiple enforcement methods manage network access and usage as well as improve policy and regulatory compliance.