Market research firm Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its Mobile Device Security Client Software market size and forecasts report, which tracks enterprise and consumer security client software for mobile devices.
"Real threats to mobile devices are active in the wild, pushing mobile security top of mind for enterprises and consumers looking to manage and protect the data and applications on their mobile devices," notes Jeff Wilson, principal analyst for security at Infonetics Research.
"Over the next 5 years, we anticipate that over 7 billion new smartphones and tablets will ship worldwide, ratcheting up hackers' interest in mobile devices," continues Wilson, "And as a result, we expect sales of mobile device security client software to soar, reaching $2.9 billion by 2017."
MOBILE SECURITY MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
* Worldwide revenue for mobile security clients rose 58.7% in 2012, to $964 million
* North America, which leads spending in nearly every security market Infonetics tracks, isn't expected to take the revenue lead in the mobile security client space until 2016-2017
* The CAGR for consumer clients from 2012 to 2017 (28%) is forecast by Infonetics to outpace that of enterprise clients (20%)
* There are currently many players in the mobile security client market, including familiar names Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Juniper, and Citrix, but no breakaway leader
* Enterprise vendors with major footprints in SSL VPNs such as Cisco, Juniper, F5, SonicWALL, and Check Point are anticipated to use mobile SSL VPN clients as a wedge to enter the larger mobile security client space