Varonis Systems has released a new version of DatAdvantage for Exchange. This latest version gives Exchange administrators increased visibility and control over their mailboxes and public folders.
“With traditional approaches, it was very difficult to understand access to mailboxes and public folders across all the Exchange servers, effectively audit email access and communication, and find owners for public folders and mailboxes,” said Bernard Besohe, local mail and system administrator for the Publications Office of the European Union. “With Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange, we have significantly reduced our Exchange access and data management workload for tasks that we do many times every day. We now have a single console with a complete map to our ever-growing Exchange environment that has enabled our staff to identify and proactively manage and protect Exchange data.”
Microsoft Exchange journaling and diagnostics only capture a limited amount of data. With Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange, administrators have full visibility into activities and into: Who deleted a message or a folder; who changed permissions; who sent a message on behalf of someone else; who changed the content of an email and forwarded it as or on behalf of the original sender; who accessed an inbox, read emails and then marked them as unread.
“Even with massive investments in messaging protection such as e-discovery, backup, antivirus and anti-spam, organizations still cannot perform the most basic management and protection tasks within Exchange,” said Yaki Faitelson, chief executive officer, president and co-founder of Varonis. “It is impossible to say with 100 percent confidence that email is secure without visibility into who has access to mailboxes and public folders and what users are doing with this access. The limited visibility and controls offered within Exchange, combined with soaring use of email, continue to create situations of extreme jeopardy for organizations. Over and over we see that business catastrophes start with or involve email.”
The Varonis Metadata Framework technology, the foundation for all Varonis products, uses file system filtering to bypass the limitations of standard file system auditing capabilities and Exchange journaling and diagnostics mechanisms. The Varonis Metadata Framework is uniquely able to collect and aggregate enormous amounts of metadata non-intrusively, normalize it, store it, analyze it, and present actionable information to both messaging staff and non-IT users.
To prevent unauthorized access to mailboxes and public folders, Exchange administrators need to see and understand activity patterns over the entire platform, understand ownership of the data, visualize access for all mailboxes and public folders across all the information stores, easily identify stale mailboxes and public folders, and optimize processes for consolidation and migration. Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange automates tasks that administrators are already doing manually hundreds of times every day.
Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange enables customers to manage mailboxes and public folders alongside file servers and SharePoint sites through the proven Varonis Metadata Framework and Varonis DatAdvantage UI, offering the same trusted permissions visibility, audit trail and recommendations that customers have come to expect from Varonis Data Governance solutions.
With Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange, customers have detailed permissions and activity intelligence enabling them to:
* Clean up access to shared mailboxes and public folders
* Find lost messages
* Automatically audit and track message activity
* Identify spikes in activity
* Identify data owners and remove stale public folders and mailboxes
Varonis DatAdvantage for Exchange features include:
* Bi-directional Permissions Visibility: From both a mailbox/folder and user/group view that allows administrators to easily analyze and report on permissions, spot permissions errors and improperly delegated access
* Auditing Automation: A detailed audit trail with highly granular filtering and sorting so administrators can easily see when email was sent, from and to whom it was sent, and when it was opened
* Recommendations and Permissions Modeling: Enabling administrators to quickly spot excessive rights and test permissions changes—prior to committing them—so that changes will not disrupt end-user productivity
* Ownership Identification: Automating ownership identification, assignment and reporting for mailboxes, public folders, and distribution groups to facilitate proper access authorization and review
* Stale Data Identification: Enabling IT to reduce storage overhead and costs