Guidance Software will deliver the newest version of its flagship digital forensic solution – EnCase Forensic version 7 on June 30. The company’s biggest EnCase Forensic product release in more than four years transforms the way people perform digital investigations—delivering a streamlined interface, automated evidence processing, optimized case management, integrated support for smartphones, tablets and more.
“EnCase Forensic version 7 gives the forensic community a new, powerful solution to perform faster, more effective investigations,” said Victor Limongelli, president and chief executive officer, Guidance Software. “We’ve taken everything that users love about EnCase Forensic and made it better by delivering ease of use, automation, and scalability features that address the challenges faced by investigators worldwide.”
EnCase Forensic version 7 introduces new features and capabilities designed with one clear objective: to increase forensic examiners’ efficiency and effectiveness. To achieve this objective, a revolutionary new workflow-driven approach to forensics has been incorporated into the product that automates common tasks, completes comprehensive searches, identifies relevant items, and creates compelling reports faster than ever before.
“EnCase Forensic version 7 truly takes digital investigations to the next level with the newly designed interface and improved workflow that allows us to automate tasks that were previously manual, ensuring that investigative steps don’t get overlooked,” said Joseph Shaw, incident response analyst for a large health insurance company and senior threat investigator for MetNet. “Additionally, with the integration of a number of features like Fastbloc SE, Physical Disk Emulator and smartphone and tablet acquisition into the core product, we’re getting more for our money. EnCase Forensic is truly the gold-standard in digital forensics - every practitioner I know has a copy of EnCase and uses it. With the newest version, the standard for digital forensics just got higher.”
“Version 7 of EnCase Forensic is the direct result of feedback from global forensic practitioners,” Limongelli added. “We incorporated user feedback into the development of the latest version of the product, and today we can confidently say that EnCase version 7 is the world’s most advanced digital investigation tool – designed with our more than 40,000 users in mind.”
“Digital investigation cases continue to grow in both size and complexity which requires methods and tools to help manage these challenges,” said Douglas Brush, president of the Digital Forensics Group. “We use EnCase Forensic and are glad to see Guidance Software is introducing new features in version 7 that can assist us by cutting down the manual preparation time needed by automating the initial processing of cases. I believe this, in combination with the improved case navigation interface and email capabilities, will increase the efficiency of our investigations.”
The newest version of EnCase delivers new ease-of-use, workflow, automation and case management benefits that make forensic investigations easier, faster and more efficient. Some of the new features include:
Ease of Use
* Intuitive User Interface – A completely overhauled user experience and a new, easy-to-use, tabbed interface with the look and feel of a Web browser.
* Unified Search – Robust new query language uses a new, advanced index engine to search across entire cases at once, enabling fast evidence identification.
* Simple E-Mail Review – Improved e-mail review in version 7 provides threading and related conversations to make understanding the e-mail context much easier.
* Customizable Reports – Version 7 produces consistent, customizable and professional reports for every case.
* Integrated Smartphone/Tablet Acquisition – Users can now acquire data from smartphones and tablets, such as iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, and Android devices, directly from EnCase Forensic. Results are seamlessly integrated into cases.
* EnCase Evidence Processor - Common processes, including custom EnScripts, can be automated, improving efficiency. With template-driven processing, results will be consistent, providing output that is easy to use and reliable.
* Optimized & Integrated EnScript – Power-users appreciate the customization offered by EnScript programming language. The ability to integrate EnScripts results and support for Windows 7 artifacts have been added to version 7.
* Evidence Management – With a new data management structure, case access is faster than ever before. Additionally, processing large datasets can be segmented through the new distributed processing capability, allowing examiners to significantly decrease processing time.
* Native Encryption Capabilities – Evidence can now be secured directly in EnCase Forensic with the new integrated encryption capabilities.
Guidance Software is offering new authorized training to help users get the most out of EnCase Forensic version 7’s powerful new features. New courses are available at training locations and authorized training partners worldwide. These new courses provide hands-on training that address real-world digital forensic investigation issues – from seizure and acquisition to full digital analysis.
“The training courses at Guidance Software are second to none,” added Shaw. “With my annual training passport I consider the Guidance Software Houston training facility to be a second home. I tell everyone I know interested in the field of digital forensics to get an annual training passport and go to Guidance Software for training, because when it comes to the information and content presented, and the education and level of understanding at a byte level you walk away with, Guidance Software’s training provides an unparalleled learning experience and an exceptional value. I’m excited to take the version 7 classes that will start next month.”