McAfee has announced a new version of McAfee Anti-Theft security software designed to protect Ultrabook devices should they be lost or stolen. This latest enhancement is a collaborative effort with Intel Corporation to develop anti-theft software that leverages Intel Anti-Theft Technology to provide device and data protection for consumers in today’s connected world.
With laptops being stolen every 53 seconds, according to the Ponemon Institute in 2007, it’s more important than ever for people to protect their digital assets.
McAfee Anti-Theft combines hardware-enabled security with advanced software to keep personal data safe in the event of laptop loss or theft. The solution enables consumers to track a lost or stolen Ultrabook – a new category of mobile device – and lock it remotely to protect personal information. McAfee Anti-Theft also includes data encryption and a “stealth mode” that allows the owner of the device to ensure their data is protected while still being able to track the lost or stolen device. Anti-tamper features keep user information secure even if the hard drive is removed or the operating system is re-installed.
“McAfee Anti-Theft enables consumers to take proactive measures to protect their data and personal information in the event their Ultrabook system is lost or stolen,” said Steve Petracca, senior vice president and general manager for McAfee’s consumer business unit. “McAfee and Intel’s collaboration goes beyond the basic security consumers would expect to keep people’s digital content secure in an increasingly mobile world.”
“Intel and McAfee are enabling a safer and more confident computing experience for Ultrabook users with a new level of security that helps keep users’ personal information personal,” said George Thangadurai, general manager PC Client Services. “Intel Anti-Theft Technology is an example of a feature built into the silicon, that when coupled with software and services, better protects the things consumers care most about – identity, data and devices – for a more worry-free computing experience and greater peace of mind right from the start.”
“By partnering with McAfee, we can secure our customers with reliable security software,” said Campbell Kan, corporate president at Acer. “McAfee Anti-Theft will protect Ultrabook consumers as they are on-the-go from theft or loss of important data.”
McAfee Anti-Theft protects personal information on lost or stolen Ultrabook devices and it allows consumers to find the location and remotely lock the device. The key features in this latest version include:
Locate and Track:
* Locates and tracks the Ultrabook device based on available Wi-Fi, GPS, or 3G data
* On-the-fly file encryption of personal files; encryption keys are stored in hardware and automatically deleted in the event of theft
* Anti-tamper features prevent uninstallation of the software and keep personal data safe even if the hard drive is removed or the operating system is re-installed
Lock Modes & Methods:
* Several lock modes including a Lockdown Mode that uses Intel Anti-Theft Technology to completely disable all access to the device, a Stealth Mode that protects the user’s data while still allowing the user to locate the device, plus Vacation and Repair Shop modes that temporarily suspend locking functions
* Lock methods including a user-initiated, manual lock and a time-based auto-lock, which locks based on a user-configurable timer
Customisable Lost & Found Message:
* Allows users to create a customised message that is displayed for an unauthorised user attempting to start up the laptop
* A Web-based tool to quickly and easily initiate a system lock for a lost or stolen device as well as maintain settings and view location history on a map, including addresses
* User enters an unlock passphrase at system start-up with the option of remote assistance from McAfee Customer Support